Saturday, January 23, 2010

A Friend Named "Kite"


I am going to be 23 next month, and guess what? I've picked up a new hobby. A hobby only people half of my age will indulge in. Yes – kite-flying. From the first day I went round searching for kites, until now, my passion for kite-flying never faded a bit – and trust me, it won’t. Since I can't afford an air ticket, this will have to suffice. It's the fundamentals of flight in its simplest form. And it's free.

But, I was caught in the middle of a dilemma...

I was standing at the side, facing the vast blue sea; there was nobody else except me and my new kite. It was almost sunset, the weather was fine, and windy. The air was so cool; the scene is so quiet and calm. The smell of the air so fresh, I know this is the moment only for me and my kite.

But, I did not want to fly him. I would love to keep him unharmed, away from the contaminated atmosphere. I would like to see him as new as ever. But, this, I know, I am being selfish.


Finally, no matter how much I refused, I have to flee him. I know he needs the blue sky more than I do. I know he will be going well with the place where he belongs. I can’t halt this because of my ignorance.

Hence, I opened my palm and set him free. Let him bring my wishes and my unhappiness away. From the dirty ground that I am standing on, I think I did the right choice. I set my kite, and off he went, above the plain blue sky. He is getting higher and higher from the ground, and it is getting smaller and smaller.

I can hear the whispering of my kite to the air, which I guess; he is thanking me for what I did. I knew he needs freedom. The vast blue sky is where he should go. Because of my selfishness, he had been kept beside me, for the fear of him being hurt by the filthiness of the air. I am wrong! My thoughts were in doubts. I don’t want to let it go from me.

I slowly, uncertainly, let the spool unravel and watched as my kite crept higher and higher into the sky like a bird of flight, finally, heading home.

I have no regrets...
Fly high, my kite...

No comments:

 
Free Hit Counter