Sunday, January 24, 2010

Congee





Honestly, I am not a "Northern porridge" fan. Getting a bit confused? Northern porridge - according to me - is porridge cooked at the northern part of the Peninsular Malaysia, including Perlis, Kedah and part of Perak (excluding Ipoh). I only love the one cooked by my dad at home.

People say porridge is best eaten when it's warm. My dad's porridge still stays the best even if it has turned cold. That's how much I loved my dad's porridge. But sadly, I never really truly enjoyed it, as I should have.

Let's get back to more descriptive Northern porridge write-ups.

As I have encountered, the way they cooked porridge seems very different. The rice and the water has two distinct layers, which makes me feel, well, a bit soggy. Scientificaly, the porridge is in a heterogeneous state. *chuckle*

Nonetheless, Chinese believes that porridge is best for sick people. It's not too solid (easy on digestion), and it's not too liquid (it's filling). But, if I am sick, I wouldn't fancy any of the so-called Northern porridge. I would very much favour my dad's.

However, this time, I fell ill, and I wasn't around in Ipoh, so I couldn't have any bowl of it from my dad. One of my housemate, let's name him Mr. T, cooked me a bowl of this Northern porridge (obviously, he is from Kedah). Do I consider myself as lucky, or...

It's nice, but one way or another, it tasted a bit unusual. I am not complaining about his cooking skills, but, it's just weird.



The porridge was full of mushroom taste (it's cooked with mushrooms, lots of it), heterogeneous (with two separate rice-water layers), coarse, and I had "fu yu" as my porridge companion (which, back in Ipoh, we don't usually eat porridge with this "fu yu").

But yet, in some ways, it was filled with kindness, compassion and thoughtfulness. I am not sure whether Mr. T knows I am sick, but, it touched my heart more than anything else.

What matter most is not how it tasted, nor how weird it appeared. It's what significance the porridge bears.

I did not thank Mr. T after I finished my porridge. But, my gratitude towards his kind deed is endless.

Thanks alot, Mr. T.

And I will savour both the taste and the heart, whenever my dad cooks porridge for me.


No comments:

 
Free Hit Counter