Saturday, February 6, 2010

What's That Smell?

** "First and foremost, sorry for not writing, sorry for not keeping my blog updated. Have been really busy this week due to my internship, which caused me the mood to write. A thousand apologies to you guys who have been hanging around so long for me to update."


When I was doing some shopping that day, suddenly, a very familiar smell struck me. It was pleasant indeed, and trust me; it triggered back a lot of fond memories from the past. But, mind you, there is one hiccup! I can’t remember from when, where, and who that smell existed, I mean from my past. Even after some long reflections, I just can’t figure it out.

Throughout my life, I have always had a heightened sense of smell. And that sense, in particular, has always been very connected to my memory.

Some of my favorite smells are my shampoo, freshly cut grass, freshly baked pizzas (*lol*), fresh linens, and my dad's cooking (Oh! How I miss it), and most of all, the smell of her. Some of the smells I hate are cigarette smoke, exhaust gas, the inside of a hospital as well as the more obvious ones!

Whenever I enter a room, or my car, or even outside, it’s often the first question I ask. And depending on what it is, I will be flooded with memories.

I remember when I go to the dentist for my braces checkups, the second I enter the building, the smell nearly knocks me down, the familiarity of it.
By the same token, though, the smell of my dad’s cologne lingering in the house after he leaves for work (that was many years back) makes me smile and feel a comfort. When I was growing up, my grandma made bread dipped in beaten eggs every Sunday. I miss that smell too.

Sometimes, during my anxious moments, I would bring something with me that smelled good to me, like a piece of cloth doused with my favorite scent. It helped me to deal with the anxiety and worry that surrounds me in the atmosphere. Sometimes it worked and other times it didn't, but I felt it was worth a try.

Do you find that certain smells trigger your memory? If so what are they? How do you deal with those smells that trigger unpleasant memories?

5 comments:

F I T said...

hey i have one of the Brut bottle..it's from year 1977..nice smell :)

MARKAS said...

wow~ 1977.. not bad.. u still keeping it..?

F I T said...

yupp i still keeping it..as antique stuff..it's from my late grandfather...

i think it got unique number for all bottle..and mine is number 52..it's written at the bottom of the bottle.. :)

~Live Life~ said...

Wow...that's something we often overlook...at least for me...

MARKAS said...

haha~ mayb compared to other things, smells r too common for us to take any notice at.. but try to ponder over d smells u'd come across nx time.. u wil b amused~ (:

 
Free Hit Counter